Friday, May 22, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge

Many of you know I love to read. Sometimes I think I love the idea of reading more than I actually love reading. I love having a good night's sleep and an income and clean clothes and dishes and sometimes those are mutually exclusive to a hefty reading list. Can I get an amen? This year one of my friends showed me the 2015 Reading Challenge from the Modern Mrs. Darcy blog. I've never read her blog before, or even actually heard of it. But after looking at the list, I thought it was such a fun idea and a great way to set practical reading goals that include books I might not normally read. So for fun, here's her list with the books I've read included. The picture below is my stack of all I've read in 2015. Not all of them fit into a category. My goal is to read one book off the list every month, and fill in with others! 
1) a book you've been meaning to read
2) a book published this year
3) a book in a genre you don't typically read
4) a book from your childhood
     The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
5) a book your mom loves
     After the Boxes are Unpacked by Susan Miller
6) a book that was originally written in a different language
7) a book "everyone" has read but you
    Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
8) a book you chose because of the cover
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
9) a book by a favorite author
10) a book recommended by someone with great taste
      Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
11) a book you should have read in high school
12) a book that's currently on the bestseller list

I'm hoping to write a quick review about each of the one's I've finished. I'll link to it in this post. I love to hear suggestions from others about what to read next so I don't waste my time on something that isn't worth it. So hopefully, my suggestions will be helpful to you!

I also really want to know, what should I read next? I especially need help coming up with a book that's currently on the bestseller list. (Although I realize for most people that's the easiest!) I hope some of you will join in on this challenge. And please oh please leave your suggestions for my missing categories in the comments below! I can't wait to hear!

3 comments:

  1. Sarah Katherine! It's been so long. I love keeping up with you on Facebook, and now I'm going to LOVE keeping up with you on this :) A book that's on the best seller list (at least some best seller lists...there are so many) that I loved was The Invention of Wings. Two that are on my to-read list are All The Light We Cannot See and Missoula! :) I wrote a post about some good ones I've read recently and there are comments with lots more! https://farmertakesawife.wordpress.com/2015/04/22/book-recommendations-from-an-english-major-that-arent-boring/ Keep writing!! -Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful for these recommendations and now I want to read everything on your list!! Also, I LOVE your blog. It makes me want to go get coffee with you right now! We live in PA now and every now and then drive back to Alabama right past Blacksburg! I think of you every time!

      Delete
  2. One of the best books I've read lately is Daring Greatly by Brene Brown. Love it! I just finished Unbroken and am so glad that I read it.

    ReplyDelete