Thursday, June 11, 2015

Oliphant Update

I think it's about high time for a good old update. I'm not a big one for Facebook status' unless they are sharing a thought provoking article or asking for travel tips, etc. And I don't have any big news - no home ownership, puppies or babies over here! But I do know that some of you who read this blog may be interested in a little snap shot of what our lives look like these days. And heaven knows I need more than a few sentences to do that!

For starters, we moved! We're no longer Southerners transplanted to the midwest. Now we're hanging out with the sho' 'nough Yankees in the great commonwealth of Pennsylvania. We live in no man's land. Which pretty much means our address says Elizabethtown but our gas station is in Hershey! We have a lovely place on the bottom floor of a house that was built in the 1800s. But it's been remodeled multiple times since then and is complete with all the mismatched blinds and stark white walls you'd expect in a rental. Just the creepy basement is left. That's the one great improvement over this place from our third story suburbia cookie cutter apartment in Des Moines - the man cave. David can go down there and fix things and take things apart to his hearts content.

Actually, there are many more improvements to this place. One is the mailbox - have I mentioned that mail is one of my very favorite things ever? How nice not to have to put a key in it and to be able to raise the red flag! I also appreciate the porch that is larger than two feet, and the window above the kitchen sink. (Is that worth the trade off for no dishwasher? I'm not sure.) The neighbors and stray cats are pretty fun too.

Other than that, we've really enjoyed living right between Chocolate and the Amish. Hershey is full of touristy commercial chocolate things. And Lancaster County is full of adorable small towns, gorgeous farm landscapes, and plenty of the plain people.

David is working on a project on the site of Hershey Medical Center. His project is going pretty well. He's a champ, and is always willing to go the extra mile. Last week the extra mile included transporting two (full) port-o-potties down Bullfrog Valley Rd. on a forklift. Told you he's a champ. His project manager here is the same one from Des Moines - which is fun since I really enjoy his wife and kids. There are also a couple other wives on this project, which is fun for me.

I am working at Water Street Mission in Lancaster City. I never would've been one to talk about my "heart for urban ministry" etc. But here I am working in the inner city in the second consecutive state! And I can't say that I could dream up a better job if I tried! Water Street is a homeless shelter that has been around for 110 years. We take up an entire block, and can house up to about 250 guests at one time.

I could spend a whole day telling each of you all about the Mission and all I'm learning there. I'm getting to work with some of the most incredible people I've ever met. It is so refreshing and so healing for me, after what I experienced with another non-profit. I've had my preconceptions about homelessness shattered, and I am seeing God work in big ways. I never thought I'd be excited to go to work!

My particular position is Volunteer Coordinator for Programs. There are actually two full time volunteer coordinators at Water Street since we have SO many. I get to work with the volunteers who come on a regular basis and have direct guest interaction. This includes any volunteers who work in children's ministry, the homeless day shelter, the front office, the career center, or residential ministries.

I spend most of my time screening and on boarding new volunteers. Each of my volunteers goes through a preliminary interview, an in-person interview, shadowing, an application, two references, two criminal clearances, and an orientation. When I'm not doing that, I get to do a variety of super fun things. Some of those have included being the "baby" of the family and being told to take a nap by a 4 year old, ironing curtains for 4 hours straight, and writing copy for a newsletter.

In other news, we've found a church we love! It's called Proclamation and is a PCA church plant in nearby Mount Joy. The congregation is welcoming, and the teaching is fantastic. You can listen to the latest sermon series here. We're in a small group, and I teach 4 year old and Kindergardeners the Kid's Catechism.

We're trying to take advantage of all the nearby places to travel! Updates on this to be continued.

Well, I think that about sums up the questions people usually ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment