Thursday, December 29, 2016

Top 10 Books of 2016


I live for these lists. Seriously, when all my favorite authors and bloggers start posting their end of year reading lists I am just giddy. For some reason book talk never gets old. Often I don’t read much more than ten books anyways, so a list would be silly. But this year I’ve read almost 50. My kindle was my best friend over those long nursing sessions after G was born. My reading has slowed down now that he’s not a newborn, but it is still the one thing I do for myself. This year more than ever I’ve kept up with the new releases, and the “hot” books for each season. I’ll be honest, in non fiction this really paid off. My top book of the year was a 2016 release (Roots & Sky). But in fiction, I found a few gems and I also read some stuff I wish I hadn’t. I think for my fiction reading next year I’m going to focus more on books that have stood the test of time. Anyways, without further ado, here’s my top 10 list of books I read in 2016, in no particular order. 

1) Roots & Sky by Christie Purifoy
This book was on my radar, but then I won it through a giveaway on the Grace Table blog and read it as soon as I got it. Wow. I don’t know what I expected, but I just adored this. It follows the four seasons and is the story of Christie’s family moving into an old Pennsylvania home and making it their own. I’m such a sucker for an author that manages to capture a firm sense of place. She does that and more - reading this really helped me connect my home and my life to the larger story of God’s work in the world. I can’t reccommend it enough. 
2) This is Awkward by Sammy Rhodes
You may know Sammy of his mixed twitter fame. He’s an RUF campus minister and has been a frequent voice in my earbuds for years. Whether or not you mesh with his sense of humor, his candor in this book is outstanding. He touches subjects that few people like to talk about with incredible honesty and it is all bathed in grace. 
3) All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
I know this was on tons of 2015 lists, but I’m a little late. It absolutely lived up to the hype, and then some. I found the story engaging, creative, and just presented in the most beautiful way.  I felt so connected to two people with whom I have nothing in common. This one has stayed with me long after I finished. (I also read the Nightingale, which is also set in WWII France. Some people say they prefer it. I really enjoyed it as well, but as far as literary merit Doerr wins by a mile in my opinion.) 
4) The Antelope in the Living Room by Melanie Shankle
This year I read everything written by Melanie and her friend Sophie Hudson. Basically I just want to be their friends. I listen to their podcast and it is a glorious 30-45 minutes back in the south. I picked this one for my top 10 list because it made me laugh the hardest. I can’t say it offered any really transforming insight into marriage, but I seriously laughed until I cried and I cannot say that about many books. 
5) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I started this in 2015 for the Modern Mrs. Darcy reading challenge “A Book You Should’ve Read in High School.” Why I waited until now, I have no idea. I thouroughly enjoyed it. I really admire Jane, and I definitely understand why she is one of the greatest literary heroines of all time. If you’ve been turned off by other work of the Brontes, don’t be afraid of this. (I’m saying that to all two of you that haven’t read it.)
6) The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
This one made it to many best books this year. Her sequel just came out, so lots of people were intrigued to read the first one. It’s heart wrenching and a rough ride, but it is so worth it. I love historical fiction, and I was fascinated by the story of an immigrant girl raised with slaves in pre-revolutionary Virginia. It's often easy to get lost or disengaged in books that span decades, but this is so well done and I felt like I knew the characters. I won't be surprised if this book is read in high school English classes in 20 years. 
7) Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
I decided to start here before reading her new book, Rising Strong. It wasn’t the kind of book that you can’t put down, but I really enjoyed her insight. She explores shame and the concept of living a wholehearted life. This may sound like your average nonfiction self help book, but it is actually researched based, which made it fascinating. She articulated so many things that I think need to be heard, and I won’t be surprised if Brown continues to become one of the most respected voices of clarity in our cultural moment. 
8) Jesus Outside the Lines by Scott Sauls
This was probably the most transformative book I read this year, and it could not have come at a better time. I seriously wanted to order a case of this book and give them to everyone I know. (Plus mail them anonymously to some people in my facebook feed...) The premise is hard to explain, but Sauls basically addresses various parts of culture and dispels the myth that Jesus fits neatly into our human camps. He doesn’t compromise on truth, and most people will feel uncomfortable at some point. He holds fast to the Gospel and is such a needed breath of fresh air in this divisive season. 
This is kind of cheating. Because really this is a series. But how could I not include Penny when I’ve dedicated 3000+ pages of my life to her novels this year? I never would’ve picked up these murder mysteries on my own. That’s not my genre, and I typically don’t really like series. (Unless we’re talking Harry Potter or the Chronicles of Narnia. Duh.) However, after hearing Anne Bogel gush about them on her podcast What Should I Read Next, I decided to give them a try. To say I’m sucked in would be an understatement. I’ve finished 9 out of 12 and won’t be surprised if I conquer the other three in a matter of weeks. The murders themselves are rarely gorey. The characters are so unique and endearing and Penny has such insight into the human condition. Technically you could pick up any of them, but I’d recommend going in order. 
10) The One in a Million Boy by Monica Wood
This novel is a new release, but it’s flown a little bit under the radar. I’m not going to say anything about the premise, because it sounds super boring. But it is actually incredibly creative and insightful. The characters are quirky in the best kind of way. In a world where sometimes I feel like we read the same things over and over again (fiction wise) this was such a delightful breath of fresh air. The subject matter isn’t light, but it is done in such a way that you can’t help but finish it with a smile and a some warm fuzzies. 


Because this list was so hard and I can’t help it... Honorable mentions. 
-Giddy Up Eunice by Sophie Hudson
-Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson (audio version recommened!) 
-Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin

No comments:

Post a Comment